google translate

Automatic Translation Available This service is provided via an automatic translator. Hence, there may be some errors in the translation.


Global Inspiration GyeongGi-Do


We are proud of all we have to offer our residents.Here, you can find information on working in Korea, medical care and living information

Meet the past and the future of Gyeonggi-do.You will discover the arts and culture unique to Gyeonggi-do.

Whether you run a small business ormajor corporation, Gyeonggi-do provides the businessenvironment and support your companyneeds to succeed and grow.​​

Obtain a wide range of useful information on Gyeonggi-do here.

Come visit the attractive cities of Gyeonggi-do and enjoy an extensive range of attractions.


go home button icon

Driving License

In Korea, Class 1 and Class 2 driver’s licenses are available: vehicles with 9 seats or less and 125cc motorcycles can be operated with a Class 2 license, while a Class 1 license is required to drive a vehicle with 15 seats or less. Other types of vehicles require special licenses. The driving test is made up of a written exam, a skills test and a driving test, taken in that order. What to Bring for Exam Application: Passport and Certificate of Alien Registration, 2 wallet-sized color pictures, cash for fees.

International Driver’s License : This kind of license can be used for one year from the date granted. To renew the license you will need your driver’s license, passport and a color photo.

Please refer to the Korean Driver’s License Agency ( for more information.

driving image

Exchanging a Foreign License for a Korean Driver’s License

You may exchange a foreign driver’s license for a Korean one. However, those who come from countries whose licenses are not recognized in Korea will have to pass a driving test to be issued a Korean license.

Required Documents to Change License
Foreign driver’s license, passport, and 3 wallet-sized color photos.
When submitting your foreign driver’s license, you will also need to have proof of immigration (obtained from the immigration office), and a confirmation from your embassy (persons from the US, England, France, Canada, Germany, Japan, or Spain do not need a confirmation from their embassy), and a notarized translation of your driver’s license (except if you come from an English-speaking country).

Please refer to the Korean Driver’s License Agency ( for more information.

Registration and Disposal of a Vehicle
You must register a newly purchased car at the respective city or district office to obtain a new license plate. You may use a temporary license plate for the first 10 days after purchasing the vehicle. When disposing of a vehicle you must pay any unpaid automobile taxes, and pay off any financing. You must clear your name at the city or district office within 1 month of disposing of the vehicle.

Taxes and Insurance
The same laws that apply to Korean nationals apply to foreign residents. The amount of tax depends on the engine size, the number of passenger seats, and other features. The notice you receive from the district office can be paid at a local financial institution, and you will receive a 10% discount if you pay the whole year’s taxes at once. If you do not pay the tax, late charges will be added to the bill. Further payment delays will result in the removal of your license plate, and ultimately your vehicle will be impounded. You may qualify for an automobile insurance discount if you provide a driving record from your home country.
There are two different kinds of car insurance : basic mandatory coverage and optional additional coverage.

question iconAre you satisfied with the service provided on the current page?
Very Satisfied
Very Dissatisfied
Person in charge of content : Gyeonggi-do Provincial Office
Content may be re-used/re-distributed only if the original source is appropriately credited,
and may not be modified and/or used for commercial purposes.
mobile global navigation menu close button