Introduction to provision of support in development of goods with an innovative design
Createdd 2003-05-26 Hit 5218
The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy (MOCIE) and Korea Institute of Design Promotion (KIDP) provide the following support to small-sized businesses developing goods with an innovative design.
Those eligible for application
– A business or an organization that promotes high added value of goods through development of innovative designs
– One engaged in production of agricultural, marine, dairy and forestry products
– One subject to favorable treatment
• A manufacturer of world’s best product (certified by the MOCIE)
•An exporter as stipulated in the Rules on Establishment and Operation of SME Export Support Center
•A manufacture of a product designated (each year) by the Public Procurement Service for improvement of design
•A manufacturer of a product with excellent industrial design as stipulated by the Industrial Design Promotion Act (so designated in the past 3 three years)
•A business in the process of commercializing its patented technology as stipulated by the Technological Transfer Promotion Act
•A venture business as stipulated by the Special Law Pertaining to Fostering of Venture Business
Support is provided concerning the following:
– Design of product, brand, packing, character and visuality
– It is possible to apply for support for brand naming along with brand design.
– Support for visual design can only be provided in the case of integrated design development for homepage, catalog and corporate image. In principle, a foreign language should be used in homepage and catalog (possibly along with Korean).
Scope of financial support
– For product design: Up to \100 million
– For design of brand, packing, character and visuality: Up to \30 million
For those applying for support in both categories, no one is eligible for support exceeding \100 million in total.
The support thus provided shall not exceed two-thirds of the total development expense.
Collection of royalty
– In the event that development of an item proves to be successful (i.e. the design development is successfully completed), a sum equal to 20% of the financial support paid (40% in the case of a large-sized firm) will be collected as royalty.
Distinction between an SME and a large-sized firm: A business referred to in Article 2 of the Small and Medium-Sized Business Basic Act and Article 3 of Its Enforcement Ordinance are deemed to be an SME.
Qualification of Applicants
– An industrial design firm as stipulated by Article 9 of the Industrial Design Promotion Act
– A college or university as stipulated by the Higher Education Act
Period of Application
– Not later than December 31, 2003
Public Notice to be made by:
For inquiries, please contact:
Application should be submitted to:
1) -Address: 344-1 Yatab-dong, Bundang-gu, Seongnam-city, Gyeonggi-do KIDP c/o Korea Design Center 463-070
2) •Address: KIDP Jungbu Branch Room 303 SME Support Center 23-1 Jang- dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-343
• Phone: 042-864-2631/4
• Fax: 042-864-2635
3) • Address: KIDP Yeongnam Branch 3rd Fl., Administrative Bldg., BEXCO 1291 Woo 2-dong, Haeundae-gu, Busan 612-827
• Phone: 051-740-7477/9
• Fax: 051-740-7481
4) • Address: KIDP Gwangju Branch Room 712 Gwangju SME Support Center 621-15 Docheong-dong, Gwangsan-gu, Gwangju 506-301
• Phone: 062-953-0962/3
• Fax: 062-953-0964